Is Solar Power Worth It?
Solar panels give you chance to tremendously lower your electricity costs, and even to make money, plus they're a great way to help the environment. But are they worth the initial investment of installation? The professionals at Cazeault Roofing & Solar of Plymouth County have installed solar panels in hundreds of homes, and now we're weighing in on this question.
Of course, there's no simple yes or no answer. But the fact is, solar power is a good deal for a great number of homeowners in the Plymouth area, and the number of homeowners solar power is good for is always growing. Even if you're only looking at the financial aspects, solar power can be a great investment for an ever-growing number of homeowners.
So is solar power worth it for you? Well, let's start with this:
Solar Power Isn't Worth It For Everyone
Some of the reasons you might not be an ideal candidate for solar panel installation might include:
- You don't have an ideal roof for solar panel installation.
- In order to generate the most electricity and get the optimum performance from your solar panels, your roof should ideally face south at an angle of 30°. Panels will still work if your Plymouth home's roof faces another direction, and the panels can be installed on even flat roofs, but you will get less power in these conditions.
- You don't have ideal land for solar panels.
- While cloudy or gloomy days won't affect the performance of your solar panels, other obstacles like trees or a neighbor's home could prevent light from reaching the panels.
- You don't have the space available.
- The more space you have for the panels to be fitted to, the better.
None of these things necessarily mean that you necessarily shouldn't have solar power installed in your home, and there are always great reasons to do so.
Solar Power Is Worth It For A Lot of People
In 2013, Massachusetts ranked fourth in the nation for installed solar panels. There are two big reasons for that:
- Homeowners in Massachusetts' commitment to clean energy, and
- The state's great incentive packages for home and business owners who install rooftop solar panels.
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center draws revenues from everyone who pays for electricity in the state to finance grants and rebates for individuals and companies who are interested in installing renewable energy systems. And that's just one reason your Plymouth home may be perfect for solar panels. Here are a few more:
- Solar energy isn't just sustainable—it's renewable. It never runs out, and sunlight will always be free.
- Solar power systems requires little maintenance.
- They make absolutely no noise.
- There are continual advancements in solar energy technology, which increase efficiency and lower costs.
- They produce zero emissions.
So Are Solar Panels Right For You?
Whether or not solar panels are right for your Plymouth home depends on several factors, including:
- The amount of money you spend on your electricity.
- Whether or not your utility has a tin-of-use electricity pricing system (if it does, going solar will save you much more money).
- The age of your roof.
- Any trees or architecture surrounding your roof.
- The solar rebates available to you in Massachusetts.
- How you value fighting global warming, air pollution, and water pollution.
It's a personal decision, and one that takes a lot of work to answer. You can start by scheduling a consultation with the professionals at Cazeault Roofing & Solar of Plymouth County.